About Me My Classroom Home Families Teaching In The Net Image Map












Thursday, February 9, 2012

Guided Reading...Is it the Best for Our Kids?

My principal sent out an all staff email yesterday with an interesting article. She always sends out things that she finds relevant and/or interesting to us teachers. I had just been reading about and talking (on my own blog) about guided reading groups. It's what I've been taught to do since I graduated college. Anyway, click here and read this (not TOO long) article about guided reading groups. Leave a comment with your thoughts on the matter.


Should we have guided reading groups? If not groups like that, then what? The article doesn't really give too many tips on what we should do, instead it focuses more on the fact that letting our students do more independent reading is not as good as working with harder texts and more teacher TEACHING (not to repeat myself or sound silly).


I'm really curious about this, because I find it really difficult to teach reading. I like teaching it, but it's difficult because I feel like kids' needs are ALWAYS changing, and the assessments (pre and post) are not always indicative of what the kids can (OR CAN'T) really do!


Happy Thursday!




~Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment