About Me My Classroom Home Families Teaching In The Net Image Map












Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Football Measurements

Ok, it's been a little while...again. I'm just gonna be honest with you all, I have taken on all KINDS of new roles this year and I am still a bit overwhelmed. I am teaching high school math and literacy, as well as high school technology, and 1st-8th grade technology classes. I do not have a regular planning time each day, and all of this is new to me. Since I've been teaching at the school where I am currently (9 years!), I have not taught the same two classes, and probably not even the same two lessons twice. Let that sink in for a minute.
It's really tough to get to know your material and get experience at teaching one area, subject, or skill super-well when you don't teach it every year. I haven't even taught a math class since 2010! Don't get me wrong, I love it! I have had a blast teaching it so far - finding new materials, fun games, and engaging hands-on activities for my math kiddos. It's surprising really, considering I was terrible at math growing up. It's much more fun to teach it than to learn it!

With all of that being said, I work with special ed students in a very unique school situation. My math class is a high school group and we're working on about a sixth grade math level. We're still reviewing some 5th grade level skills just to sharpen them before pushing ourselves!

Recently, I needed to review measuring to the nearest 1/16th of an inch. I teach Saxon math, and they titled the skill "Fractions & Mixed Numbers on a Number Line". Of course, my first place to look was TPT. (What did I EVER do without TPT????) Surprisingly, I didn't find anything dealing with measuring that small, so I had to create something. It had to be engaging and fun for my kiddos. Well, it's football season, and what better way to motivate them than to measure football items? I made a set of task cards with football items for them to measure.




As they went around the room measuring items, I played some college football fight songs on YouTube.

They loved it! They were roaming around the room humming and dancing - happily measuring, engaged, & active!

If you will be teaching measurement any time soon, you can get my Football Measurement pack here on TPT. It will be 50% off until Friday, October 9th. You can also get it by clicking on the picture below!

Happy Tuesday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment